Friday, April 23, 2010

The principal's office

I knew it was inevitable that one of my children would visit the principal's office, and this was the week. I keep reminding myself that between the two boys that there has been almost six years of completed school before the first visit. So, why do I still have the sick feeling about it? Son (who will remain nameless to protect his identity) has had a great week. He's making great progress on his school work and has enjoyed a week of fun extra curricular activities. When son came to me in the parking area after school yesterday to celebrate an accomplishment, I was so proud and celebrated with him. Then, the principal calls son over. I had that MR (mom radar) going and could sense this wasn't a friendly good-bye from Mr. Teague. So, son comes back to tell me that he had to visit the office. He and I go over to talk to Mr. T. Upon further investigation, I discovered that it was a repeat problem with a boy in his class that truly pesters him. Nathan and I have both witnessed it and have often thought that son would eventually get in big trouble concerning this boy. I found myself in a spot. I'm standing in front of the principal who expects me to deal appropriately with the issue. Now what? I really don't blame son for lashing out. The boy is annoying on the best of days. The boy pushes and pesters until most anyone would last out. Good or bad, I explained to son that I didn't blame him for being irritated and frustrated by the classmate. I explained that I too get frustrated with the boy. I explained that I was disappointed (even if not surprised) by his response. I reminded him that Jesus was angry at times, but that he didn't sin in his anger. So, I asked son if he had sinned while angry. He agreed that he had. I also reminded him that his classmate is hungry for friendship and pesters son to get his attention. I looked to the principal for a response. He had dealt with both boys in his office and felt that the issue was handled. I prayed that Mr. T understood my perspective and was somewhat understanding of son's position. Bless him, Mr. T then tells son, "If you can learn to deal with these situations now, you'll be a better man than me when you are my age." Son will be a better person than his mom too . . . No one enjoys going to the principal's office . . .

1 comment:

  1. Very wise words from you! I don't know if I would have been able to put the words together like that. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs