Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Insecurities

I think we all have them. Our insecurities may be different colors or shapes, come about for different reasons, and will manifest themselves in different ways. But, I believe we all have them. I was recently in a meeting with a man who was small in stature. As I listened to him and then heard others relate stories of their interactions with him, I labeled him as having "little person syndrome". We have all met those people who are small in stature (for which they have NO control) and see them trying to make up for it with grandiose statements or larger-than-life stories. I struggle with my own insecurity. I often deal with it by showing outward confidence that I am only in recent years learns intimidates others. I find this comical as I know that the more confident that I appear on the outside is often a direct correlation to how insecure I feel inside. Isn't that crazy? So, as I accept that I have my own insecurities with which I struggle, I am becoming more in tuned with my kiddos insecurities. I have one who is easy to spot. The child looks timid, cries, or even shudders as they try to deal with uncomfortable situations or feelings. The other two are a little more difficult to spot. One is a talker . . . I guess it also comes across as "little person syndrome". We joke that this child talks to hear themselves talk, but I suspect it has more to do with insecurity. The third child tends to become quiet and seek out alone time. As a parent, I want to help my children with their insecurities, and I certainly don't want to contribute to them. However, there is no magical answer on how to deal with them. So, I pray for them each day. When opportunity affords itself, I remind them that God will help them as they struggle. Oh what I wouldn't give to take away all of their insecurities. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs